Your acne isn’t going away. You’re trying to find a reputable dermatologist or esthetician, but that could be months away and you’re tired of everyone telling you “Just drink more water!” You know acne isn’t that simple.
So without further ado, here are Tracy’s 6 Tips and Tricks you can follow to kick-start your skin care and ward off breakouts before your consultation.
- Your skin care routine should be Cleanse -> Tone (but not necessary if you have a good cleanser)-> Moisturize -> Sunscreen (-> Primer -> Makeup if you wear it). Take the time to make sure each of these products are not making your skin worse by changing products one at a time. You skin will tell you if it doesn’t like a product within the next couple days or weeks, and usual irritants include fragrances, dyes, various active ingredients, and allergens. Figure out your skin care routine and stick to it!
- Depending on your skin and cleanser, you should be washing your face twice per day to make sure your pores aren’t getting clogged and inflamed. Always follow your cleanser with a moisturizer (and sunscreen if you’re going near the sun).
- When washing your face and having a shower, try not to use hot water. I know some of us love our steam-filled showers, especially during the winter, but the heat of the water irritates and dries out your skin. Same goes for cold showers.
- Keeping your skin clean, hydrated, and protected is important, but your diet also affects the health of your skin. Try to eat clean, a well-rounded diet that gives your body the important nutrients it needs, like Omega 3 fatty acids and vitamins A & D. If you have dietary restrictions that prevent you from eating the foods these are normally found in (fish, grass fed meat, etc.), buy yourself natural supplements instead and take a good probiotic daily.
*Look into whether or not dairy is a factor in your acne breakouts. It isn’t an irritant for everyone, but some people have found that cutting down or eliminating dairy from their diet helps their acne immensely.
- Try to change your pillowcase daily. While you sleep, your skin’s oils are absorbed into the fabric and will start to clog your pores the next time you sleep.
- And I know you’re tired of hearing it, but make sure to drink water daily! It isn’t the answer to your acne problems, but it is usually part of the solution. I tell all my clients to follow the 8×8 rule (eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day) to keep their skin hydrated and help their body process.
Contact us to book a consultation and start your journey towards healthy and radiant skin!
Enjoy proactive skin care and staying healthy? Follow us on Instagram @tracyhudsonskincare